Where do I Apply for a Marriage License?
- BOTH the parties MUST appear in person.
- If parties are Rhode Island residents, you may apply for the license in either City or Town where the parties reside.
- If BOTH parties are NOT residents of Rhode Island, the marriage license must be obtained WHERE CEREMONY IS TO TAKE PLACE in Rhode Island.
Documents to Bring with you:
- Certified birth certificates of both persons. (long form only - wallet size cards are not accepted)
- Valid Government Issued Photo identification for both persons.
- If not the first Legal Relationship, you must provide a certified copy of Final Divorce Decree/Dissolution or Certified Death Certificate from previous legal relationship. (Legal Relationship is a previous marriage, Civil Union or Registered Domestic Partnership)
- Documents may need to be translated. If the translation is required, documents must be the original certified documents, accompanied by a certified translation.
- Pre-marital blood test or physical are NOT REQUIRED
- Both parties must physically present themselves at the Clerk's office to sign the license and attest to the information listed thereon
- The City Clerk's Office issues Marriage Licenses between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Both parties must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- If parties are under eighteen (18) or under the control of a legal guardian they MUST COMPLETE A MINOR'S PERMIT signed by both parents or legal guardian obtained in the city clerk's office.
- If parties are under sixteen (16) they MUST OBTAIN APPROVAL FROM FAMILY COURT. Contact the City Clerk's Office for more information.
Length of Time License is Valid:
Marriage license is valid for ninety (90) days from the date issued, and if not used, should be returned to the place of issuance.
Marriage License Cost:
The cost is twenty-four ($24.00) dollars
What if we had a previous Civil Union in Rhode Island and we would like to now be Married?
You have two options.
Option 1 - No New Ceremony
File a Certificate of Merger at the City or Town where you obtained your Civil Union.
You must both appear together with your Valid Government Issued Photo identification.
Option 2 - New Marriage Ceremony
File a Certificate of Merger at the City or Town where you live.
File for a new marriage license. All Marriage License rules apply. See section above regarding Marriage Licenses.
How to Obtain a Copy of a Marriage Record:
Marriage records on file in the City Clerk's office date back to 1765. Records 100 years old and older are public records. All records less than 100 years old are only available by request to the person named on the record or to a close relative.
- Enter the City Clerk's Office, Room 301
- Present a picture identification of yourself, OR
- Request certificate by mail, enclose copy of your photo identification.
- Enclose check or money order made payable to "City of Pawtucket'" along with written request
- Mail request to: City Clerk's Office, 137 Roosevelt Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02860
- State your full name (maiden name), spouse's name, date of marriage
or you may request a copy online
Marriage Certificate Cost:
$22.00 for the first certificate and $18.00 for each additional certificate, of the same record, when ordered simultaneously.
By Mail or Online*:
$25.00 for the first certificate and $18.00 for each additional certificate, of the same record, when ordered simultaneously.
*Online requests have an additional $5 surcharge charged by a 3rd party for using credit card.